First off, I am lucky enough not to have an intoleance to gluten. Heck, I love the stuff. Bread, pasta, cakes…I could go on, but you can assume that if it has gluten in it, I will happily eat it. So this recipe choice isn’t due to a dietary restriction, but to that fact that when it comes to brownies I love them flourless. They seem to be gooier and dense and not as dry as ones that contain flour sometimes are. Less cakey and more fudgey!
When I came across this David Lebovitz recipe I knew it would be amazing. In addition to being flourless, I also believe that the best brownies are quick to make and have minimal ingredients. And also because a David recipe has never failed me (remember the coffee frozen yoghurt??). The man is the dessert king and every recipe teaches me a different cooking tip. This one is that if your brownies end up crumbly, it’s because you didn’t beat the mixture enough. Genius!
Gluten Free Brownies
(from David Lebovitz http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/08/gluten-free-brownies-recipe-chocolate/)
6 tablespoons (85g) butter, salted or unsalted (if using unsalted add 1/8th tsp salt)
8 ounces (225g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, natural or Dutch process
3 tablespoons (30g) corn starch
optional: 1 cup (135g) nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C (or 350 F). Line a 8inch square pan with foil and grease lightly.
2) Melt butter and chocolate together in a saucepan, on the stove, at a very low heat. Stir until smooth.
3) Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated.
4) Mix the cocoa and corn starch together in a bowl and ensure there are no lumps. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat for at least one minute. The batter should come together and pull away from the sides of the pan. To reiterate David’s tip, if you don’t mix for at least one minute your brownies might end up crumbly.
5) Add the nuts, if you are using them.
6) Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and cook for 30 minutes. Or until the centre is just cooked. Remove from oven and let cool completely before you cut them.
Enjoy your brownies!